CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES KANAJAR is situated at a distance of 78 kms to the north of Mangalore, 18 kms to the west of Karkal and 33 kms to the east of Udupi and is surrounded by Moodubelle, Nakre, Hirgan and Karkal parishes.
Kanajar was once a part of Belle and Karkal-Attur parishes. Fr William A. Lewis, later the Vicar General of the Diocese, acquired a plot of land to start a mission station here, while he was an assistant parish priest of Belle and built a presbytery in 1932 which was used as a chapel.
Kanajar became a parish on May 28, 1938. Fr William A. Lewis was the first parish priest. It is believed that the land to build the church was donated by Mrs Ammani Shetty. The foundation stone for the church was laid by the Bishop in 1942. The beautiful new church building was inaugurated on April 28, 1948 by Bishop Victor Fernandes. The belfry was constructed by Fr Jos Menezes.